· All six accused arrested in killing of Gurmej Singh
CHANDIGARH: Adopting zero tolerance policy of the State government towards acts of grave indiscipline and misconduct, the Punjab Police today dismissed all the 5 police officials under Article 311 of the Constitution of India who were found to be involved in the incident that led to the killing of Gurmej Singh of village Bhagwanpur in Gurdaspur district. In this case all six accused including five police officials and a private person Simrat Singh s/o Kuldeep Singh r/o Kahnuwan Road, Batala have been arrested.
Disclosing this here today a spokesperson of Punjab Police said that the guilty police personnel were dismissed from service for grave misconduct, involvement in criminal acts, tarnishing the image of the Police department among the people, lowering the morale of the police during the ongoing COVID pandemic and diminishing the ability of the police to perform its functions and duties effectively.
Giving details he informed that the 5 police officers who have been dismissed include PHC Balkar Singh, (No. 1696/BTL) s/o Piara Singh r/o Kalabala, Kahnuwan, PHC Surinder Singh (No.2530/BTL) s/o Dalbir Singh r/o Maliya Kalan (posted in Police district Batala), PHC Avtar Singh (No.1899/ASR-C) s/o Bhupinder Singh r/o Kotla Gujra Majitha, LR/ASI Ranjeet Singh (No. 858/ASR-C) and LR/ASI Baljit Singh (No.1724/ASR-C).
He revealed that on Sunday, at about 7 pm one Gurmej Singh s/o Amrik Singh of village Bhagwanpur PS Kotli Surat Malhi, in Batala police district was shot dead from a pistol by 6 persons, (5 of whom are serving in the Punjab Police), after a scuffle over a road accident at village Bhagwanpur.
The spokesperson said that the suspects were travelling in 2 cars and were coming from village Dargabad side. When they came near village Bhagwanpur, they met with an accident with one Amarpreet Kaur of village Bhagwanpur who was who was driving a Swift Dzire car, and villagers gathered around. Gurmej Singh was shot in this scuffle.
In this case an FIR No.78 u/s 302,148,149 IPC, 25, 27 Arms Act dated 30.8.2020 at police station Kotli Surat Malhi was lodged immediately, and all the 6 accused have been arrested.
The names of police personnel arrested by police are as follows;
- P/HC Avtar Singh 1899/MJT S/o Bhupinder Singh r/o Kotla Gujra, Majitha (posted with retd. ADGP Parampal Singh)
- P/HC Balkar Singh 1696/BTL s/o Piara Singh r/o Kalabala, Kahnuwan (posted as Gunman with retd. ADGP Parampal Singh)
- ASI Ranjeet Singh 858/ASR, s/o Balwinder Singh r/o Jalalpur (posted at Traffic staff City Amritsar)
- ASI Baljit Singh 2724/ASR s/o Bhagwan Singh r/o Gumanpur, Amritsar (posted at Traffic staff City Amritsar)
- Surinder Singh 2530/BTL s/o Dalbir Singh r/o Maliya Kalan (working as driver in Punjab Police)